Sunday, May 16, 2010

Time for Tea



Today I'm thinking of the girls I went to school with at St Ann's Academy. We graduated so many years ago but the amazing thing is that even though I've only been to a few reunions, I find that for the most part, looking at the face of an old friend seems to take you right back. Those were the days...long brocade dresses with shoes dyed to match, a corsage and long gloves. My parents gave me a faux fur stole and a Kodak Instamatic camera with a flashcube on the top for my high school graduation presents. How times have changed!
Click on the mosaic to enlarge it.

One summer, while I was going to university, I was a tea waitress at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC. The price was $1.75 for Afternoon Tea which was served in the lobby complete with china cups, silver platters, silver teapots, and tiered tea trays. The guests sat in wing back chairs in front of the fireplace or overlooking the Victoria Harbour. Last spring we had tea at the Empress and it was lovely but it's very expensive these days. Because it was "Be a Tourist in Your Hometown" weekend it was half price and lovely experience.


It's been an interesting two months since I started my blog. I really didn't know what to expect but now I look forward to reading blogs. There are so many talented, interesting and kind women around the world and you'll find them on blogs. You can find really unique mosaics at Mary's littleredhouse.com

This quotation seems most appropriate for my "old" friends and the women I've met blogging lately...

"Friendships link and loop and interweave until they mesh the world." Pam Brown b. 1928






10 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila, This is calling my name! I love teas. I've walked through the Empress and have seen others having tea but it has never worked out time wise for me to take part in one there. So you've only been blogging for a couple months...you've started a great adventure...enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila,

    You working at the Empress reminded me that my mom worked as a waitress one summer at the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite National Park - for 80 cents a hour!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila, What a fun memory it must be to have been a tea waitress!
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a lovely place for afternoon tea! Thanks for sharing your memories at MM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful setting for tea. Have a wonderful week:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, tea at the Empress has gone up in price!
    St Ann's is still a beautiful place. I didn't grow up here, but one day as I was looking at the graduating class photos outside the chapel I saw the photo for the class from my graduating year - there was a girl with whom I'd gone to elementary school in Ontario. We connected and had a lovely visit.
    There are few Sisters of Ste Ann left - both The Great Dane and I work with the sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to believe that tea at the Empress was one $1.75! Wow.
    I didn't grow up in Victoria (only lived there 8 years and 2 months ago we moved to Parksville because of my husband's job, but our children and my heart are still in Victoria). So I thoroughly enjoy the history you share on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sheila, I enjoyed your post so much. The school is truly beautiful, and having a tea at the Empress Hotel would be a real treat. Thank you for sharing your memories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes this blogging world is amazing I have only been doing it 5 months and love it. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sheila,

    What sweet memories and I remember that instamatic camera with flash cube! Oh my..how things have changed..the digital world is wonderful. :0)

    Welcome to Blogland...I've been blogging for a bit over 2 years now and it just keeps getting better and better...so many lovely ladies..it's truly a loving place.

    I'm visiting for Mosaic Monday...Drop by anytime..I'd look for you to visit.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete