Despite the nights below zero, there are signs of spring on our farm. We've seen huge flocks of snow geese overhead, winging their way up to the Arctic. The grass is greening up and the tiny delicate leaves on the poplar trees are a delight to see. There are early buds on the lilac branches, the perennials are popping up and the rhubarb is making it's presence known. The clump of Elephant Ears has two blooms. The pansies I planted have survived and my pansies in pots are faithfully put to bed each night on the front porch with beach towels thrown over to protect them from the frost. We are about 8 miles from the geographical centre of Alberta and spring arrives slowly. By the 21st of May we'll start to put some annuals into the flower beds just for some instant colour. Oh I almost forgot to mention - we already have a few dandelions. When we moved here 16 years ago we used to try to dig them out. Now I welcome the burst of colour! Hope Springs Eternal!
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Signs of Spring
Despite the nights below zero, there are signs of spring on our farm. We've seen huge flocks of snow geese overhead, winging their way up to the Arctic. The grass is greening up and the tiny delicate leaves on the poplar trees are a delight to see. There are early buds on the lilac branches, the perennials are popping up and the rhubarb is making it's presence known. The clump of Elephant Ears has two blooms. The pansies I planted have survived and my pansies in pots are faithfully put to bed each night on the front porch with beach towels thrown over to protect them from the frost. We are about 8 miles from the geographical centre of Alberta and spring arrives slowly. By the 21st of May we'll start to put some annuals into the flower beds just for some instant colour. Oh I almost forgot to mention - we already have a few dandelions. When we moved here 16 years ago we used to try to dig them out. Now I welcome the burst of colour! Hope Springs Eternal!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After a long, dull winter, the golden dandelions are a welcome burst of colour, aren't they? Even with our mild winters here we don't dare put anything out quite yet, due to the night frosts - can't wait!
ReplyDeleteHello Sheila. Thank you for visiting my blog - I am happy you enjoyed the Salt Spring trip! My sister lives in Alberta and they also have cool weather all times of the year. Your photos are lovely and I do love dandelions - most people want them out of their garden but they truly are an amazing plant - I have read about them and they are quite important! Lovely to meet you and I look forward to watching your blog too. Cheerio from Vancouver Island, Michelle
ReplyDeleteDandelions? Would you like me to send you a field of them?
ReplyDeleteOtherwise here too it is still too cold for bedding plants, although I would have thought that pansies are fully hardy.
But spring is definitely on its way, the birds and heir babies tell me so.
Won't be long before we can plant all the garden we want can't wait. Trish
ReplyDeleteWOW the picture of that pink flower is just gorgeous!! I wish I could embrace the color of dandilions, but I just hate those buggers. Maybe I should pick them and put them in a vase..lol That way I might see beauty in them. Your pictures are outstanding.
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by today.
Lisa