"According to folklore, an elder will never be struck by lightening and will protect your home from evil influences. Elder leaves can be cast upon the wind to whomever you name. Before pruning an elder, however, it is traditional to ask the elder's permission, to avoid offending the spirits said to be living in the shrub."
Lois Hole is well known by Albertans and likely by many Canadians. She was a wonderful gardener and nursery owner who wrote several very informative books. She served as Alberta's Lieutenant Governor for almost 5 years and is the recipient of many honours including having the new women's hospital in Edmonton named after her.
I bought this shrub about 12 years ago at a local farmer's market and about that time I enjoyed reading "I'll Never Marry a Farmer" written by Lois Hole. Here's a link if you're interested in learning more about her.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lois_Hole
Yesterday was the first day it seemed like spring is really here. We were outside all day with our big lawn getting it's first cut of the season. Because I've been worried by our recent sighting of 4 bears, (see "Bears in Our Backyard - my May 19th post), I was glad to have the farmer around the yard. He was busy mowing and trimming all day long as it was still too wet in the fields to continue seeding. The dandelions are gone in the yard temporarily, but our fields of clover are brightly coloured with dandelion yellow. Enjoy the sunshine wherever you are...
You have pretty Irises and a big yard... what kind of tree are you showing I couldn't tell....I don't blame you for worrying about bears. Trish
ReplyDeleteSheila,
ReplyDeleteWhatdoyamean BEARS?? Not many people can say that!
I love trees too.
Thanks for commenting on my post today. I'm glad to help you with learning textures or anything. Feel free to e-mail me. mlrut@cox.net
yes, it's spring. and summer, all in one go. here too, finally.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures! Here in California we take the sun for granted, but back in my native country the winters are long and when the spring finally arrives, it's so nice that one's heart goes pitty-pat with excitement.
ReplyDeleteWe came home today to some lovely sunshine - and about time too! Friends are getting impatient to get their hay cut - but we need a few more dry days!
ReplyDelete