Sunday, February 27, 2011

Quilting Days

In February it seems that I always turn to quilting. 
It seems the month to finish up projects that were started and abandoned or to try some new ideas.
Last year I was asked if I would make a Dignity Quilt 
for the Extendicare facility where my mother in law resides. 
There are always so many scraps and last weekend I made some "Mug Rugs".  
My aunt is moving into a care home and so I got busy and finished the lap quilt I was making for her. 
I like the random arrangement of my blocks better than the way it started out.  
Sometimes I like to play around with designs and 
this time I liked the mixed up blocks better than the precise pattern I started with.
Time to start something new - it will be years before my fabric stash is gone!

Click to enlarge
 My fabric mosaic will be linked to Mosaic Monday tonight...
Sunshine Always - Sheila

13 comments:

  1. What wonderful talents you have, Sheila! Your mug rugs are superb, but so are your larger quilting projects. It's a satisfying feeling to finish one, isn't it? I'm sure your aunt will cherish her lap quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilts! And I love the mugs rugs! It's good that you won't ever run out of fabric, you are very creative and talented, lovely works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd better stitch fast, as you're almost out of February!
    Beautiful quilts here - how satisfying it must be to create something so lovely from your fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilts are lovely, Sheila, and I'm sure they are much appreciated by those who use them.

    Your mug rugs look like miniature landscape paintings. The colors blend so well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila, your quilts are wonderful! I am busy trying to get my autumn one finished too. You are right - the cold days of February are perfect for quilting, especially handquilting! It keeps me warm.
    Love the mug rugs! An excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! I love the quilts and your mug rugs! So talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is gorgeous and your mug rugs are very sweet. You are one talented lady.
    I live in Manitoba, I saw your comment over at Pamela's and I wanted to see which province you were from. I'm always happy to find another fellow Canadian blogger.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your mug mats. Do they have any of your pictures in them? A Fabric stash is never used up, we are always adding another fabric we must have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sheila,
    You make lovely quilts-what a nice gift for your Aunt and MIL.
    Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog-it is always nice to meet another Canadian blogger.
    Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work! I especially like your "mug rugs"; they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the mug rugs....you do have a special gift my friend.....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sheila! My biggest apologies that I haven't been on my other blog and that I haven't contacted you. I am looking forward to getting back to my other blog. These quilts are AMAZING! They are absolutely beautiful So much work and patience to put one together. I love the mug rugs! Are you surviving the winter okay? We are having a cool time here on the west coast - cool for us as we aren't accustomed to such low temperatures. Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog and for being so faithful at keeping in touch - much appreciated with a big heartfelt thank you! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Sheila, I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your mug rugs! They are gorgeous AND the mug matches them perfectly! I WANT someday to quilt,(I have made blocks in the past BUT never got through a whole project).I'll use "You" and others here in BLOGLAND to encourage me! I am your NEWEST FOLLOWER and I'm hoping you will FOLLOW ME TOO if you like!
    Have a wonderful week,
    Hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete